Definition of shoot-'em-up in English:
1A fast-moving story or movie, of which gunfire is a dominant feature.
- And while the film may not have the excitement of your average shoot-'em-up action epic, this makes the most of its few action sequences, and makes them count.
- Still, as in all good westerns, there are villains in abundance, damsels in distress and whiskey bars galore to hold your interest, although the shoot-'em-up action is nothing we haven't seen before.
- I didn't want it to be an exciting shoot-'em-up action scene.
1.1A simple computer game in which the sole objective is to kill as many enemies as possible to achieve a high score.
- As computer games inch beyond shoot-'em-ups into the narrative territory of books and movies I wonder how far the medium can actually go.
- The player can afford to saunter through the landscape, meandering at a more leisurely pace that would be possible in a competitive shoot-'em-up.
- They deplore the way handguns are portrayed in popular television programs and have little time for computer shoot-'em-up games which, in their view, tend to glorify violence.
Definition of shoot-'em-up in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.