Definition of shoot-'em-up in English:
1A fast-moving story or movie, of which gunfire is a dominant feature.
- And while the film may not have the excitement of your average shoot-'em-up action epic, this makes the most of its few action sequences, and makes them count.
- Still, as in all good westerns, there are villains in abundance, damsels in distress and whiskey bars galore to hold your interest, although the shoot-'em-up action is nothing we haven't seen before.
- I didn't want it to be an exciting shoot-'em-up action scene.
1.1A simple computer game in which the sole objective is to kill as many enemies as possible to achieve a high score.
- As computer games inch beyond shoot-'em-ups into the narrative territory of books and movies I wonder how far the medium can actually go.
- The player can afford to saunter through the landscape, meandering at a more leisurely pace that would be possible in a competitive shoot-'em-up.
- They deplore the way handguns are portrayed in popular television programs and have little time for computer shoot-'em-up games which, in their view, tend to glorify violence.
Definition of shoot-'em-up in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan