- Butter or other fat used for making pastry or bread.More example sentences
- In a stock pot, melt the lard or shortening over medium heat.
- Supplies of white flour, granulated sugar, and cheap shortening such as margarine all helped to make cake baking popular.
- I gathered up all of the ingredients for two batches of dough: flour, vegetable shortening, active dry yeast, eggs, sugar, and a bit of salt.
More definitions of shorteningDefinition of shortening in:
- The British & World English dictionary