- 1In a short time; soon: the new database will shortly be available for consultation the flight was hijacked shortly after takeoffMore example sentences
- Details of these will be made available shortly before the summer launch.
- Again and again we saw those pictures of the television presenter shopping in London shortly before her death.
- I had tried a number of times to get back into writing shortly after the funeral but I soon gave up.
- 2In a few words; briefly: they received a letter shortly outlining the proposalsMore example sentences
- The letter shortly, but strictly stated that her previous life and hopes were over.
- Householders in the Borris area will receive a letter shortly advising them of the offer.