1Be conspicuous or clearly visible.
- The mounds at Heath Wood were highly visible, showing up black against the surrounding red-coloured soils.
- He figured the sadness from his own heart would be showing up clearly in his own face.
- Next to lakes and rivers, railways also showed up clearly; so did large roads.
be visible, be obvious, be seen, be revealed
2 informal Arrive or turn up for an appointment or gathering.
- Sometimes you show up for an appointment and they've forgotten, or don't have the time.
- He waits in a Montreal bar for a meeting with a Russian cosmonaut and painter, who never shows up.
- She hits on a solution when Jane shows up at work distraught, followed soon by a concerned Vin.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.