Definition of show up in English:
1Be conspicuous or clearly visible.
- The mounds at Heath Wood were highly visible, showing up black against the surrounding red-coloured soils.
- He figured the sadness from his own heart would be showing up clearly in his own face.
- Next to lakes and rivers, railways also showed up clearly; so did large roads.
be visible, be obvious, be seen, be revealed
2 informal Arrive or turn up for an appointment or gathering.
- Sometimes you show up for an appointment and they've forgotten, or don't have the time.
- He waits in a Montreal bar for a meeting with a Russian cosmonaut and painter, who never shows up.
- She hits on a solution when Jane shows up at work distraught, followed soon by a concerned Vin.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia