noun (plural shrievalties)chiefly • historical
- The office, jurisdiction, or tenure of a sheriff.More example sentences
- Moreover, the combined salaries of the three wardens or lieutenants was now less than £400 per annum, and much of this was recouped by reviving the ancient practice of farming the shrievalties.
- This connection ensured that Stephen received a number of important, and lucrative, appointments, and Lancashire was simply one of a number of shrievalties he held at the same time.
- It was ordained by 28 Edward I that the people shall have election of sheriff in every shire where the shrievalty is not of inheritance.
More definitions of shrievaltyDefinition of shrievalty in:
- The British & World English dictionary