Definition of shutdown in English:
1A closure of a factory or system, typically a temporary closure due to a malfunction or for maintenance.
- Planned temporary shutdowns of Ford assembly plants in August will affect close to 8,000 workers.
- I've blogged before about how rural areas can sustain economic growth in the wake of factory shutdowns.
- With a two-week shutdown of the factory due to start on Monday, it is thought workers will use the time to figure out what course of action to take.
1.1A turning off of a computer or computer system.
- It was unable to book crew flight assignments because of the computer shutdown.
- Owen shutdown his computer and took his tea to the couch in the living room.
- Similarly, customers will be able to move chunks of data between different arrays easier than before and with no system shutdowns.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia