- 1Each of a pair of hinged panels, often louvered, fixed inside or outside a window that can be closed for security or privacy or to keep out light.More example sentences
- A pair of windows with wooden shutters allows for a good deal of incoming light.
- It appears that a thief, described as a drunk male wearing a combat jacket, used a crowbar to prise open the security shutter before smashing the window.
- There were two doors, both seemingly exiting to the outside, and two windows that were covered on the inside by primitive wooden shutters.
- 2 Photography A device that opens and closes to expose the film in a camera.More example sentences
- In order to prevent the image from being blurry, Cassini actually had to rotate while the camera shutter was open in order to maintain her pointing at Phoebe.
- When the shutter of your camera opens for that fraction of a second, photons of light stream in and strike the silver halide grains suspended in the gelatin emulsion.
- The camera shutter was open for 8 m sec per frame to avoid motion blur of the particles.
- 3 Music The blind enclosing the swell box in an organ, used for controlling the volume of sound.More example sentences
- Organ mountings are considered, but not painted organ shutters.
verb[with object] Back to top
- 1Close the shutters of (a window or building): the windows were shuttered against the afternoon heat (as adjective shuttered) barred and shuttered storesMore example sentences
- All the shops are shuttered, all the windows closed.
- Restaurants, hotels and even bars closed their doors and shuttered their windows.
- Close the doors, shutter the windows, send them all home.
- 1.1chiefly North American Close (a business): the city was gripped by economic forces that were squeezing its tax base and shuttering its factoriesMore example sentences
- Like the farm towns farther upstream, the fishing communities on this stretch of coast are dotted with ‘For Sale’ signs and shuttered family businesses.
- Zhuk doesn't want to shutter the business, but also wants to act as ethically as possible.
- Right there on Main Street, pretty much all the businesses shuttered and boarded up.
- More example sentences
- She wrapped the blankets more tightly around herself, staring morosely out the open, shutterless window of the hayloft where she slept.
- The streaks below Polaris in these images are due to the fact that the camera is shutterless.
- Consists of new software features and ease-of-use improvements as well as a new shutterless, high-performance camera, which provides increased sensitivity and reliability