Definition of shutter in English:
1Each of a pair of hinged panels, often louvered, fixed inside or outside a window that can be closed for security or privacy or to keep out light.
- A pair of windows with wooden shutters allows for a good deal of incoming light.
- It appears that a thief, described as a drunk male wearing a combat jacket, used a crowbar to prise open the security shutter before smashing the window.
- There were two doors, both seemingly exiting to the outside, and two windows that were covered on the inside by primitive wooden shutters.
2 Photography A device that opens and closes to expose the film in a camera.
- In order to prevent the image from being blurry, Cassini actually had to rotate while the camera shutter was open in order to maintain her pointing at Phoebe.
- When the shutter of your camera opens for that fraction of a second, photons of light stream in and strike the silver halide grains suspended in the gelatin emulsion.
- The camera shutter was open for 8 m sec per frame to avoid motion blur of the particles.
verb[with object] Back to top
1Close the shutters of (a window or building): the windows were shuttered against the afternoon heat (as adjective shuttered) barred and shuttered stores
More example sentences
- All the shops are shuttered, all the windows closed.
- Restaurants, hotels and even bars closed their doors and shuttered their windows.
- Close the doors, shutter the windows, send them all home.
1.1chiefly North American Close (a business): the city was gripped by economic forces that were squeezing its tax base and shuttering its factories
More example sentences
- Like the farm towns farther upstream, the fishing communities on this stretch of coast are dotted with ‘For Sale’ signs and shuttered family businesses.
- Zhuk doesn't want to shutter the business, but also wants to act as ethically as possible.
- Right there on Main Street, pretty much all the businesses shuttered and boarded up.
- Example sentences
- She wrapped the blankets more tightly around herself, staring morosely out the open, shutterless window of the hayloft where she slept.
- The streaks below Polaris in these images are due to the fact that the camera is shutterless.
- Consists of new software features and ease-of-use improvements as well as a new shutterless, high-performance camera, which provides increased sensitivity and reliability
Words that rhyme with shutterabutter, aflutter, butter, Calcutta, clutter, constructor, cutter, declutter, flutter, gutter, mutter, nutter, scutter, splutter, sputter, strutter, stutter, utter
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.