- A substance present in saliva that consists of acyl derivatives of neuraminic acid.More example sentences
- If scientists treat blood cells with an enzyme to remove sialic acid, the parasite can no longer invade.
- Biochemical markers of metastasis such as lung hydroxyproline, uronic acid, serum sialic acid and gammaglutamyl transpeptidase were estimated.
- Many pathogens use sugar groups of surface glycoproteins, in particular sialic acid residues, as receptors for invasion.
1950s: sialic from Greek sialon 'saliva' + -ic.
More definitions of sialic acidDefinition of sialic acid in:
- The British & World English dictionary