noun (plural same)
1 dated A native of Siam (now Thailand).
- By the end of the Angkor era, the kingdom of Kambuja-Desa came under increased pressure from the Siamese on the west and the Vietnamese on the east.
- In the late 18th century, the Siamese established hegemony over much of what is now Laos.
- Like the Siamese, the Burmese are said to have been temple cats for whom student monks served as valets.
3 (also Siamese cat) A cat of a lightly built short-haired breed characterized by slanting blue eyes and typically pale fur with darker points.
- In fact, Javanese cats, like the Siamese and other Siamese-related breeds often have a preoccupation with food.
- The first step in that direction was to breed a Siamese to an Abyssinian, obviously, and Daly just happened to have some around.
- In all probability the soulmates that joined forces to create the Birman were Siamese cats and longhair, bicolored Angoras.
Of or concerning Siam, its people, or language.
- Being of some Siamese descent, her great-great-great-great-great grandfather, lived in the royal household of Ghengis Khan.
- During the 15th century, nearly all of Angkor was abandoned after Siamese attacks.
- Although there are French and Portuguese writings still extant, there is a paucity of Siamese documentation, principally as a result of the sacking of Ayutthaya by the Burmese in 1767.
Words that rhyme with SiameseAchinese, Ambonese, appease, Assamese, Balinese, Belize, Beninese, Bernese, bêtise, Bhutanese, breeze, Burmese, Cantonese, Castries, cerise, cheese, chemise, Chinese, Cingalese, Cleese, Congolese, Denise, Dodecanese, ease, éminence grise, expertise, Faroese, freeze, Fries, frieze, Gabonese, Genoese, Goanese, Guyanese, he's, Japanese, Javanese, jeez, journalese, Kanarese, Keys, Lebanese, lees, legalese, Louise, Macanese, Madurese, Maltese, marquise, Milanese, Nepalese, officialese, overseas, pease, Pekinese, Peloponnese, Piedmontese, please, Portuguese, Pyrenees, reprise, Rwandese, seise, seize, Senegalese, she's, Sienese, Sikkimese, Sinhalese, sleaze, sneeze, squeeze, Stockton-on-Tees, Sudanese, Sundanese, Surinamese, Tabriz, Taiwanese, tease, Tees, telegraphese, these, Timorese, Togolese, trapeze, valise, Viennese, Vietnamese, vocalese, wheeze
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Siamese in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.