Definition of side-necked turtle in English:
A freshwater turtle with a relatively long head and neck that is retracted sideways into the shell for defense.
- Suborder Pleurodira: families Chelidae (South America and Australasia) and Pelomedusidae (South America and southern Africa), and several genera
- The carapace of this appealing side-necked turtle is a medium to charcoal gray color with no design.
- This turtle is a side-necked turtle, as are all turtle species of New Guinea and Australia.
- The 70 or so species of side-necked turtles bend their necks sideways and tuck their heads in under the front edge of the upper shell.
Definition of side-necked turtle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.