- The orbital period of the earth around the sun, taking the stars as a reference frame, being 20 minutes longer than the tropical year because of precession.More example sentences
- Because of the precession of the equinoxes the tropical year is shorter by about 21 minutes than the sidereal year (the time taken by the Sun to return to the same place against the background stars).
- The Bikrami solar year actually is not a solar year but a sidereal year.
- As we've seen for Mars, Jupiter and Saturn, the sidereal motion of planets is fundamental to determining not only the position of a planet but also its sidereal year around the Sun.
More definitions of sidereal yearDefinition of sidereal year in:
- The British & World English dictionary