Definition of sidestep in English:
verb (sidesteps, sidestepping, sidestepped)[with object]
1Avoid (someone or something) by stepping sideways: as she walked she sidestepped the many cracks in the pavement
More example sentences
- ‘Apparently not,’ he said, sidestepping her and walking past her.
- He waved his hand impatiently as he quickly sidestepped the waterfall and walked briskly down the shaded stone path.
- I run down Courtenay Place, sidestepping someone as I swerve at speed onto Taranaki Street, passing the doctor's and the florist and leaping across the road beside the bookstore.
1.1Avoid dealing with or discussing (something problematic or disagreeable): he neatly sidestepped the questions about riots
More example sentences
- And getting together for tea neatly sidesteps the tricky business-lunch question of whether it's appropriate to drink.
- Her questions had been neatly sidestepped and deflected.
- Despite its potential to broach the complex issue of integration to a mainstream audience, Radio manages to neatly sidestep all of the problems that typically plague students with disabilities.
1.2 [no object] Skiing Climb or descend by lifting alternate skis while facing sideways on the slope.
- Everybody, even our best skiers, cautiously sidestepped down the first narrow pitch, then made cautious traverses and kick turns.
- As skiers did prior to machine grooming, we sidestepped and herringboned uphill to pack down the powder and skied down several times.
- If it's short, you can sidestep down the slope: face across the hill and step sideways down.
nounBack to top
A step taken sideways, typically to avoid someone or something.
- With a parry and a sidestep, he deftly avoided the deadly club.
- Mike pushed his way through the crowd, dekeing out the gawking barricades with daring sidesteps and inexpert but effective shoulder-blocks.
- It's two steps forward, one step backward, and then a sidestep.
- Example sentences
- Fortunately the sidesteppers, the bullfighters, didn't have any swords, so the bulls tended to win that day, which was great to see.
- These creatures include the turtle-like shell creepers, crab-like sidesteppers, hopping fighterflies, and so on.
- The Kettler Side Stepper is a compact but effective piece of equipment to help you increase your heart rate, at the same time strengthening your leg and thigh muscles.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia