adverb & adjective
- 1To, toward, or from the side: [as adverb]: she tilted her body sideways [as adjective]: he hurried toward his office without a sideways glanceMore example sentences
- Nick took a quick glance sideways to the other side of the rink, and immediately followed the example of the first man he saw.
- She often would face sideways or towards the rest of the band, which only added to the mystery of her performance.
- I returned to my room, took off my shoes and headed towards my bed, casting a sideways glance at the small pile of wrapped presents at the foot of my bed.
- 1.1 [as adverb] With one side facing forward: the truck slid sideways across the roadMore example sentences
- The book shelves slide forward, then sideways, and then back into the wall.
- The tires grabbed for a second, then began to spin, and the truck slid sideways.
- My front wheel hit the rear fender of the car and I ended up sliding along the road sideways.
- 1.2So as to occupy a job or position at the same level as one previously held rather than be promoted or demoted: [as adjective]: after the reshuffle there were sideways moves for managersMore example sentences
- Secretly I admire him but I do wonder if he is slipping sideways into journalism rather than scientific editorship.
- Gordon and Gotch have changed managers while the First Fleet manager in charge of the Sydney distribution has moved sideways.
- I don't know what post she was moved sideways from - possibly associate executive deputy assistant commissioner.
- 1.3By an indirect way: [as adverb]: he came into politics sideways, as campaign manager for the presidentMore example sentences
- Camper has always had a sort of sideways commentary on politics.
- When he saw her out in the garden he bounded out, did the sideways approach, all huffed up and brave, and was all ready to challenge her to a bit of mayhem.
- He smiled and took a sideways look at her on the sly.
- 1.4 [as adjective] From an unconventional or unorthodox viewpoint: take a sideways look at daily lifeMore example sentences
- But ‘No Angels’ also takes a sideways look at the often daft directives which are imposed on hospital staff.
- Successfully fusing elements of comedy, tragedy, and a sideways look at life in one great film is what makes Terms Of Endearment such a marvel.
- A sideways look at the state education system shows how professionals become in a system that does not focus on individuals.
knock someone sideways
- see knock.