- A small seal, especially one set in a ring, used instead of or with a signature to give authentication to an official document.More example sentences
- Since the great seal was heavy, the practice developed of employing a privy seal and later a signet.
- Griffin pressed his signet into the seal and handed it to the messenger with a soft smile.
- Then he sealed it with wax and applied a signet that he kept on the top shelf of the bookcase.
late Middle English: from Old French, or from medieval Latin signetum, diminutive of signum 'token, seal'.
More definitions of signetDefinition of signet in:
- The British & World English dictionary