- 1The representation or conveying of meaning.More example sentences
- Derrida suggests that representation or signification is based on both a distance from a signified and a difference among terms.
- The task of representation and signification (the task of culture) is to draw the group together, no matter how widespread or dispersed, to make it coherent and identifiably different from other groups.
- We can recognize a logic of the unconscious only through its representation in the symbolic order, through the effect of signification.
- 1.1An exact meaning or sense.More example sentences
- Is there any other short word so charged with a multiplicity of meanings and significations, so many disparate elements?
- The key in this definition is to note that an object's status is dependent on other significations of other affects, manifested in the brand names themselves.
- He implies that there is an unconscious substrate of symbolic life which allows new meaning to be created from the multiple significations of existing symbols.
Middle English: via Old French from Latin significatio(n-), from significare 'indicate' (see signify).
More definitions of significationDefinition of signification in:
- The British & World English dictionary