- 1A sign giving information such as the direction and distance to a nearby town, typically found at a crossroads.More example sentences
- Town traffic and through traffic are already directed by the latest signposts to use Southbroom Road and New Park Street.
- Few things are as distressful as finding oneself lost on the road with no signposts and no one to ask directions.
- I mean, there'd been times when I wasn't exactly sure where I was, but there'd always been the inevitable signpost or landmark or town where I could ask directions.
- 1.1Something that acts as guidance or a clue to an unclear or complicated issue: there are few unambiguous signposts for doctors facing ethical issuesMore example sentences
- Guided by the signposts of DNA, we have virtually traveled back in time along the genetic stream, from the present to the ancient past, to the era when some determined bands of people first tamed an ox.
- Companions in other words can provide short-cuts to learning, whereas they should be, in principle, providing signposts, which guide the scholar when he or she transacts complex intellectual mazes.
- When Parliament is involved in defining terms in legislation of this type, it is really important for it to erect signposts and to give indicators about what words like ‘spiritual’ mean.
verb[with object] Back to top
- 1Provide (an area) with a signpost or signposts: most of the walks were well signpostedMore example sentences
- The park is signposted throughout and illustrates plants and wildlife through words and pictures.
- The area will be well signposted and tour guides will assist members of the public.
- The walk will be well signposted and there will be plenty of help for those who cannot complete the walk.
- 1.1chiefly British Indicate (a place or feature) with a signpost: Battle is clearly signposted off all the main roadsMore example sentences
- Once there, Raemoir is clearly signposted before you hit the town centre - the tiny hamlet is about two miles outside Banchory.
- The Ballyhoura mountain range is the most popular local venue for hill walking and Griston Bog is signposted in Ballylanders.
- Before signposting some alternative policy approaches, let me throw some cold water on the doom and gloom predictions as they stand.
More definitions of signpostDefinition of signpost in:
- The British & World English dictionary