Definition of silane in English:
1A colorless gaseous compound of silicon and hydrogen that has strong reducing properties and is spontaneously flammable in air.
- Chemical formula: SiH4
- They can contain chemicals such as acrylate, peroxides, bisphenol, formaldehyde, hexane, hydroquinone, phenol, polyurethane, silane, toluene, and xylene, some of which have been suspected of toxicity.
- These sealers are silane or siloxane-based products that react with silica and silicate materials in concrete and with each other to form a hard resin that bonds with the concrete.
- The use of thick gels obviated the need for bind silane.
1.1Any of the large class of hydrides of silicon analogous to the alkanes.
- Mixtures of silicone resins along with silanes and siloxanes work extremely well at blocking pores of all sizes at low solids levels, without changing the natural appearance of the blocks.
- That is, the structurally analogous silanes - mixtures of silicon and hydrogen - are spontaneously flammable in air.
- Siloxanes are prepolymers - the result of partial polymerization of silanes - in which the molecules are beginning to link, but only in sets of two or three, not yet in full polymeric chains.
Definition of silane in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.