Definition of silencer in English:
1A device for reducing the noise emitted by a gun or other loud mechanism.
- They were also charged with conspiracy to possess firearms with intent to endanger life, and possession of handguns, silencers and a machine gun.
- In a routine check the customs officers found in his bag a Kalashnikov machine gun, two pistols with silencers, ammunition and a large number of special pens, which fire bullets.
- He opened fire, the silencers muffling the gunfire to a small puff noise.
1.1 British term for muffler (sense 2).
- One day between Collooney and Ballisodare, a driver of McGowan's lost the exhaust silencer from the engine in a flood.
- Its twin chamber exhaust system is made of stainless steel all the way to the silencers, before exhaust emissions leave the car through the four tailpipes.
- On Tuesday, the traffic police and the Transport Department plan to conduct joint inspection of vehicles that emit excess smoke, produce more noise and have defective silencers, headlamps and tail lamps.
Words that rhyme with silencergrimacer • trespasser
Definition of silencer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan