Definition of silicify in English:
verb (silicifies, silicifying, silicified)[with object] (usually be silicified)
Convert into or impregnate with silica.
- Later, authigenic quartz was precipitated and carbonate phases were partly silicified.
- Silica cells were silicified in the first year, and the frequency was not significantly different among the three leaf ages.
- For most large deposits of agate or silicified wood, silica was derived from the decomposition of volcanic rocks.
- Example sentences
- The formation of botryoidal aragonite and clotted micrite was followed by silicification of carbonate phases and precipitation of authigenic quartz.
- It is probable that the original composition was calcium phosphate, and some secondary silicification has taken place.
- The taxonomic fidelity of silicified microbes will depend on the rate of silicification and the factors that control that process.
Definition of silicify in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan