- A hard refractory crystalline compound of silicon and carbon; carborundum.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: SiC
- A compound known as silicon carbide, also known as carborundum, is one of the hardest substances known.
- In what may be the most important chemical discovery since silicon itself, Toyota researchers have found a way to create uniform crystals with silicon and carbon, silicon carbide.
- The most common abrasives include aluminum oxide and silicon carbide.
More definitions of silicon carbideDefinition of silicon carbide in:
- The British & World English dictionary