Definition of sill in English:
1A shelf or slab of stone, wood, or metal at the foot of a window or doorway.
- The designer suggested shortening window openings on one side of the kitchen, where sills were only 2 feet from the floor.
- The library and its adjacent structure are detailed so that the viewer is gently aware of new sills and metal door frames and an illuminated linear storage unit.
- This year the stone work lintels, sills and other features were restored and the general area around the church cleaned up.
1.1A strong horizontal member at the base of any structure, e.g., in the frame of a motor or rail vehicle.
- Wide metal door sills and soft-blue ambient lighting welcome you into the car.
- Built in 1988, it had doors that dropped down into the high sills, like the window glass in a standard door.
- I've got substantial front-end damage - bumper, bonnet, cross-member and sill.
1.2 Geology A tabular sheet of igneous rock intruded between and parallel with the existing strata. Compare with dike1.
- Several igneous dikes and sills have been intruded into this sedimentary sequence, the largest of which is the Great Whin Sill, a quartz-orthopyroxene dolerite of late Carboniferous age.
- Clastic dykes do not exclusively intrude sediments; they also intrude granitic rock and mafic sills and are associated with lava flows in volcanic environments.
- Other leucogranite sheets are intruded as layer-parallel sills along the main foliation.
Words that rhyme with sillbill, Brazil, brill, Camille, chill, cookchill, dill, distil (US distill), downhill, drill, Edgehill, Estoril, fill, freewill, frill, fulfil (US fulfill), Gill, goodwill, grill, grille, hill, ill, instil, kill, krill, mil, mill, nil, Phil, pill, quadrille, quill, rill, Seville, shill, shrill, skill, spadille, spill, squill, still, stock-still, swill, thill, thrill, till, trill, twill, until, uphill, will
Definition of sill in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan