Definition of silver plate in English:
1A thin layer of silver electroplated or otherwise applied as a coating to another metal.
- For unclear reasons there was neither motivation by American flatware manufacturers to transfer the style from silver plate into stainless steel nor demand by consumers for them to do so.
- For example, the thickness of the silver plate that is deposited electrochemically on a spoon is greater if the electrical current is allowed to flow longer.
- They carry a jug and bowl of silver plate, luxury objects of great costliness in ancient Rome, either as a gift for Agrippa or perhaps, as Ebers suggests, to pour a libation before him as if he were a god.
1.1Objects coated with silver.
- Cahill's 20-year criminal career is believed to have netted him more than €40m, and Gardai believe some gold bullion and silver plate still lies buried in the Dublin mountains.
- At this point, he traded with local Inuit for officers' silver plate, the treasured medal making Franklin a Knight Commander of the Royal Hanoverian Guelphic Order, and other relics.
- The finds from the Shaft Graves at Mycenae contained massive quantities of gold and silver plate, including the gold death mask of Agamemnon.
1.2Plates, dishes, etc., made of silver.
- The restoration work on the castle is progressing and he is now calling on her to return the silver plate to its rightful home.
- He photographed the silver plate, pulled his hands away and put it back in the safe.
- It also means having to repress the vision of oneself staring back that appears in the mirrored surface of the silver plate.
verb(silver-plate) [with object] Back to top
Cover (something) with a thin layer of silver.
- He said the coins are advertised as nearly pure silver when they're only silver-plated.
- Wood veneer sweeps right round the cabin, leather covers the floor as well as the seats, and many jewel-like details are silver-plated.
- For example, the technique is used to silver-plate table utensils and to weatherproof objects with cadmium or chromium plating.
Definition of silver plate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan