Definition of silverside in English:
1 (also silversides) A small, slender, chiefly marine fish with a bright silver line along its sides.
- Family Atherinidae: several genera and species
- This consists of killifishes, herrings, sardines, gobies, silversides, anchovies small mullets, and lizardfishes to name a few.
- Inland silversides were particularly common prey of juvenile gar in Lake Texoma, making up 84% of the diet, with gamefishes accounting for less than 1% of the diet.
- Groups such as silversides, herrings and anchovies often congregate in feeding shoals numbering in the millions.
2British The upper side of a round of beef from the outside of the leg.
- Less expensive cuts such as brisket, silverside or topside have plenty of collagen, a protein present in connective tissues.
- My roast veal was three rectangular pieces of beast with the grey, gristly flavour of school silverside.
- But how to make good use of the topside, silverside and thick flank was always less well understood.
Words that rhyme with silversideoverside
Definition of silverside in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan