Definition of silversword in English:
A Hawaiian plant of the daisy family that has long narrow leaves with silvery hairs and clusters of purplish flowers.
- Genus Argyroxiphium, family Compositae
- Of the many endangered plant species in the Hawaiian Islands, silverswords have the highest profile due to their radiant beauty and the severity of the threats confronting them.
- The cooperative efforts for the recovery of the Hawaiian silversword, as described in volumes 13, 23, and 25 of the Endangered Species Bulletin, are exactly what are needed for the numerous other endangered Hawaiian plants.
- The major threat to the recovery of silverswords (and many other endangered plant species in Hawaii) continues to be alien ungulates.
Definition of silversword in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan