Definition of singsong in English:
(Of a person’s voice) having a repeated rising and falling rhythm: the singsong voices of children reciting tables
More example sentences
- ‘I get to be a Dragon, I get to be a Dragon,’ she repeated in a sing-song voice, many times.
- The interpreter turns to an obviously bored senseless Nic and repeats in a sing-song voice, ‘What do you like about Japan?’
- Andrea began teasing in a lilting sing-song voice, ‘Brandon's got a girlfriend, Brandon's got a girlfriend!’
nounBack to top
1 informal , chiefly British An informal gathering for singing.
- It was rooted in the parlour musicales, the outdoor sing-songs, the marching bands, the hymns stoutly sung in church, and other impressions of his boyhood.
- As we grow older, we all become nostalgic for the past and Mrs Manning spoke of schooldays, family sing-songs, church concerts and so on.
- In addition to doing school studies, the students can take part in dances, film shows, concerts, sing-songs, debates and quizzes.
2 [in singular] A singsong way of speaking.
- When dinner's ready I sashay into the lounge room and announce in a loud sing-song, ‘Comestibles!’
- Eventually, she starts rambling in a dazed sing-song about fat women walking up a hill and thin women walking down.
- There's some vague taste of that childhood sing-song, ‘I know what you did’ in his tone and his gaze.
verb (singsongs, singsonging, singsonged)[no object] Back to top
Speak or recite something in a singsong manner.
- As if campaigning before the local Democratic Ladies' Club lunch, he sing-songed back, ‘There will be plenty of time to discuss all of those issues, about why, and how, and what, and if.’
- My mother sat beside his bed, sing-songing to him with her sad flowery Kermanshahi accent, ‘Did you see what happened to us, my little brother, my little beloved?’
- ’I loathe him’, she sing-songed as the waiter walked away.
Definition of singsong in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India