(also Singhalese /ˌsiNGɡə-/, Sinhala /sinˈhälə/)
noun (plural same)
1A member of a people originally from northern India, now forming the majority of the population of Sri Lanka.
- I went to school with Tamils, Sinhalese and members of the Burgher community.
- I am sure the working class of Sri Lanka, Tamils and Sinhalese alike, will reject this perspective.
- The population of Trincomalee is divided into roughly equal numbers of Sinhalese and Tamils with a significant Muslim population.
2The Indic language of the Sinhalese.
- It is not reasonable to ask him to go there because he has no family, friends, work, source of income or shelter in Colombo and does not speak the dominant language, Sinhalese.
- He was arrested on January 27 and was tortured and forced to sign a statement in Sinhalese, a language he does not understand.
- The only evidence against them are confessions extracted under torture and written in Sinhalese - a language none of them read or write.
Relating to the Sinhalese or their language.
- As a registered party, the SEP was allocated 15 minutes on state-run television and radio to present its program in the Tamil and Sinhala languages.
- The principal medium of activity in the Vihara is the Sinhala language.
- He displayed a copy of the Sinhala language publication of the World Socialist Web Site.
Words that rhyme with SinhaleseAchinese, Ambonese, appease, Assamese, Balinese, Belize, Beninese, Bernese, bêtise, Bhutanese, breeze, Burmese, Cantonese, Castries, cerise, cheese, chemise, Chinese, Cingalese, Cleese, Congolese, Denise, Dodecanese, ease, éminence grise, expertise, Faroese, freeze, Fries, frieze, Gabonese, Genoese, Goanese, Guyanese, he's, Japanese, Javanese, jeez, journalese, Kanarese, Keys, Lebanese, lees, legalese, Louise, Macanese, Madurese, Maltese, marquise, Milanese, Nepalese, officialese, overseas, pease, Pekinese, Peloponnese, Piedmontese, please, Portuguese, Pyrenees, reprise, Rwandese, seise, seize, Senegalese, she's, Siamese, Sienese, Sikkimese, sleaze, sneeze, squeeze, Stockton-on-Tees, Sudanese, Sundanese, Surinamese, Tabriz, Taiwanese, tease, Tees, telegraphese, these, Timorese, Togolese, trapeze, valise, Viennese, Vietnamese, vocalese, wheeze
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Sinhalese in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.