- A cavity in the ground, especially in limestone bedrock, caused by water erosion and providing a route for surface water to disappear underground.More example sentences
- The enclosed depressions are complex forms of dolines or sinkholes, which act as centripetal drainage basins.
- Karst is an area of irregular limestone in which erosion has produced fissures, sinkholes, underground streams, and caverns.
- The wells at Chichén Itzá are actually large limestone sinkholes - known in Spanish as cenotes (underground pools) - and they are one of the singular aspects of the site.
More definitions of sinkholeDefinition of sinkhole in:
- The British & World English dictionary