Definition of sire in English:
1The male parent of an animal, especially a stallion or bull kept for breeding.
- Four Brahman and four Angus sires were rotated among breeding pastures in both forage systems each year.
- Sequencing was done on eight bull sires of Norwegian dairy cattle using Dye Terminator chemistry.
- Second-generation hybrids were generated from four parental animals: two sires and two dams.
verb[with object] Back to top
1Be the male parent of (an animal).
- We conclude that the chicks were sired by extrapair males.
- He never showed much interest in the number of departmental female elephants around and never sired a calf.
- The heifer calves were from crossbred cows sired by Eimousin bulls.
1.1 literary (Of a person) be the father of.
- I have sired no offspring, created no universes, I cannot walk through walls and I've never been killed at Easter.
- There will always be plenty of babies sired by dominant men.
- About 40 percent of the babies were sired by someone other than the mother's mate.
Words that rhyme with sireacquire, admire, afire, applier, aspire, attire, ayah, backfire, barbwire, bemire, briar, buyer, byre, choir, conspire, crier, cryer, defier, denier, desire, dire, drier, dryer, dyer, enquire, entire, esquire, expire, fire, flyer, friar, fryer, Gaia, gyre, hellfire, hire, hiya, ire, Isaiah, jambalaya, Jeremiah, Josiah, Kintyre, latria, liar, lyre, Maia, Maya, Mayer, messiah, mire, misfire, Nehemiah, Obadiah, papaya, pariah, peripeteia, perspire, playa, Praia, prior, pyre, quire, replier, scryer, shire, shyer, skyer, Sophia, spire, squire, supplier, Surabaya, suspire, tier, tire, transpire, trier, tumble-dryer, tyre, Uriah, via, wire, Zechariah, Zedekiah, Zephaniah
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.