Definition of sirenian in English:
A large aquatic plant-eating mammal of the order Sirenia, such as a manatee or dugong.
- The remaining sirenians, are seriously threatened by hunting, habitat degradation, and in the case of manatees, collisions with boats in the shallow coastal areas they prefer.
- Modern sirenians are large, docile, aquatic herbivores.
- To understand isotopic variation in Florida sirenians, we selected four teeth for serial sampling.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting sirenians.
- This may have supported a strong, fleshy lip with which Thalassocnus grazed seagrass or kelp, much like manatees and their sirenian relatives.
- The hyrax - elephant - sirenian core is well-accepted on morphological grounds.
- Corystosiren is a late-surviving dugong at a time when sirenian fossils are exceedingly rare in Florida.
Definition of sirenian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.