Definition of siskin in English:
A small songbird related to the goldfinch.
- Genus Carduelis (and Serinus), family Fringillidae: several species, including the pine siskin (C. pinus) of North America, with dark-streaked plumage, notched tail, and touches of yellow on wings and tail
- Seedeaters such as evening grosbeaks, goldfinches, and pine siskins prefer black oil sunflower and niger thistle.
- Niger thistle appeals especially to pine siskins, goldfinches, and purple and house finches.
- After a four-winter absence delightful siskins returned to our garden in 1994.
Mid 16th century: from Middle Dutch siseken, a diminutive related to German Zeisig, of Slavic origin.
Words that rhyme with siskingriskin
Definition of siskin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.