1The relationship between sisters.
- There is no sisterhood among sisters here, only envy fuelled by despair.
- In 1991, Juliet made Blood Sisters, a film essay which explored the mythologies of sisterhood.
- I can't know what it's like to be a woman, or even how exactly to be a dad to girls, but I know something of sisters, and even perhaps of sisterhood, if I may be so bold.
1.1The feeling of kinship with and closeness to a group of women or all women.
- It was a magical evening of tears, laughter, and special feelings of connection, sisterhood, and joy in the beauty and the strength of women.
- It is true that many of us became involved in the feminist movement with unrealistic expectations of bonded sisterhood.
- There was a general feeling of amiability and sisterhood.
2 (often Sisterhood) An association, society, or community of women linked by a common interest, religion, or trade.
- Religious brotherhoods and sisterhoods play an important role in organizing these ceremonies and festivals.
- In a world of brotherhoods and sisterhoods there was always the existence of secret societies.
- Although women could not be priests or bishops, convents and sisterhoods provided professional opportunities to women in a society where few respectable professional outlets existed.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of sisterhood in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.