Definition of sit tight in English:
1 informal Remain firmly in one’s place.
- I'll just go take Blake to make arrangements and the rest of you sit tight.
- They assumed that the crowd would sit tight even if the arrangements were not up to the mark.
- Should we sit tight and wait to be rescued - and risk choking on fumes or being crushed in a tunnel collapse?
1.1Refrain from taking action or changing one’s mind: we’re advising our clients to sit tight and neither to buy nor sell
More example sentences
- There is still more to come, but we're sitting tight and waiting for when the time will happen.
- His outlandish haul of major championships is the product of a cautious approach, a refusal to take risks and a determination to sit tight and wait for others to make mistakes.
- All we can do is sit tight and wait and that is simply making a worrying situation even more difficult.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.