1 informal Remain firmly in one’s place.
- I'll just go take Blake to make arrangements and the rest of you sit tight.
- They assumed that the crowd would sit tight even if the arrangements were not up to the mark.
- Should we sit tight and wait to be rescued - and risk choking on fumes or being crushed in a tunnel collapse?
stay put, wait there, remain in one's place
1.1Refrain from taking action or changing one’s mind: we’re advising our clients to sit tight and neither to buy nor sell
More example sentences
- There is still more to come, but we're sitting tight and waiting for when the time will happen.
- His outlandish haul of major championships is the product of a cautious approach, a refusal to take risks and a determination to sit tight and wait for others to make mistakes.
- All we can do is sit tight and wait and that is simply making a worrying situation even more difficult.
take no action, wait, hold back, bide one's time
informal hold one's horses
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.