Definition of sitter in English:
1A person who sits, especially for a portrait.
- Rembrandt's portraits of individual sitters are similarly energetic, emphasizing faces, hands, and dynamic silhouettes at the expense of costumes and settings.
- Later in her career she also did numerous portrait busts of distinguished sitters.
- In the portraits, sitters appear shorn of pretense and disguise.
1.1A hen sitting on eggs.
2 [usually in combination] A person who looks after children, pets, or a house while the parents or owners are away: a house-sitter
More example sentences
- Response to the business, both from pet owners and dog sitters, was so good that she was encouraged to start offering franchises in October 2002.
- The company specializes in helping pet sitters and pet owners connect to each other.
- We'll be gone for 10 days, and our two sons, ages 13 and 15, are begging us not to move a grown-up into the house as a sitter.
Words that rhyme with sitterbitter, committer, critter, embitter, emitter, fitter, flitter, fritter, glitter, gritter, hitter, jitter, knitter, litter, permitter, pitta, quitter, remitter, skitter, slitter, spitter, splitter, submitter, titter, transmitter, twitter, witter
Definition of sitter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.