- The sloping face of the abutment on which an extremity of an arch rests.More example sentences
- It was 525 metres long and was supported by 32 pontoons including stone skewbacks on both banks.
- Without hinges, arch ribs extend continuously from skewback to skewback and are fixed at skewbacks so no rotation can occur and thus the bridge is called a fixed arch.
- This was easier than cutting the bricks to make wedges, skewbacks and the arch key.
More definitions of skewbackDefinition of skewback in:
- The British & World English dictionary