Definition of skewbald in English:
(Of an animal) with irregular patches of white and another color (properly not black). Compare with piebald.
- She slipped through the gate back into the village and soon found her skewbald horse.
- Bee was a skewbald Arab with long slender legs and a beautiful face.
- He was a handsome 10-year-old skewbald native cross called Gaffer.
nounBack to top
A skewbald animal, especially a horse.
- Piebalds, skewbalds and plain foxy ponies were fetching from 1,000 upwards and donkeys were also in demand, with good class mares reported to be also making 1,000 and more.
Mid 17th century: from obsolete skewed 'skewbald' (of uncertain origin), on the pattern of piebald.
Words that rhyme with skewbaldArchibald • piebald
Definition of skewbald in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.