Definition of ski jump in English:
1A steep slope leveling off before a drop to a lower slope, used in Nordic skiing to perform jumps.
- The two-story Hall of Fame building is a contemporary designed structure, with a sweeping, steep pitched roof that resembles a ski jump.
- It's part ski jump, part slalom slope and pure Engh.
- This class of carrier does not utilize a steam catapult for launching fighters but is equipped instead with a ski jump at the bow to allow short take-offs.
1.1A leap made from a ski jump.
- From the opening ski jump off a mountain to the underwater action sequence featuring a Q converted Lotus automobile, everything about the movie is big, big and bigger.
- Rick Sylvester donned skis for the breathtaking ski jump that has been ranked among the ten best stunts ever captured on film.
- His patio overlooks the city and is directly across from the hill used for the ski jump in the 1964 and 1976 Winter Olympics.
- Example sentences
- Britain lays claim to the original heroic sporting failure in Eddie ‘The Eagle’ Edwards, who became universally known as the world's worst ski jumper.
- The first Bulgarian to debut in Salt Lake City will be ski jumper Georgi Zharkov today, the opening day of the Games.
- A toddler at the pub boots around the rug with a serious look while men ten times his size scream about a ski jumper on television.
- Example sentences
- Ice hockey, downhill skiing, ski jumping and even the speed skating make for compulsive viewing.
- I've had a few bad incidents myself over my decisions to try ski jumping and the biathlon without any skills, experience, or the right equipment.
- Nordic Chill lets you compete in biathlon, ski jumping and curling.
Pronunciation: /ˈskē ˌjəmpər/noun
Pronunciation: /ˈskē ˌjəmpiNG/noun
Definition of ski jump in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.