- 1Move lightly and quickly or hurriedly: the girls skittered up the stairs • figurative her mind skittered back to that day at the officeMore example sentences
- Her eyes widened further, and she backed, more quickly than before, skittering quickly against the walls and door.
- I was about to protest, but Alex quickly skittered off to the bathroom, leaving me stupidly holding the silver phone in my hand.
- She nodded quickly and skittered over to her seat.
mid 19th century: apparently a frequentative of skite 'move rapidly', perhaps of Norse origin.
More definitions of skitterDefinition of skitter in:
- The British & World English dictionary