- 1A large, thick, flat piece of stone, concrete, or wood, typically rectangular: paving slabs she settled on a slab of rockMore example sentences
- Massive concrete floor slabs provide thermal storage, collecting heat and giving it off again later on.
- Concrete paving slabs, available from the big DIY chains, can look almost as good as the real thing.
- A concrete slab on grade or floor is going to crack.
- 1.1A large, thick slice or piece of cake, bread, chocolate, etc.: a slab of bread and cheeseMore example sentences
- Stuff it into a red bell pepper instead of sandwiching it between two slabs of Wonder bread.
- We enjoyed it with a slab of delicious chocolate cake.
- There is something utterly indulgent, delicious and satisfying about a slab of chocolate cake.
- 1.2 Climbing A large, smooth, steep body of rock.More example sentences
- Start at the lowest rocks and climb the slabs above until stopped by a smooth bulge.
- A small lip guarded the final corner, which lead to a very smooth slab.
- Jake climbed up onto the slab of rock again and sat there with his legs crossed, staring down at me.
- 1.3An outer piece of timber sawn from a log.More example sentences
- There was raw chicken on a driftwood slab for this farewell meal too.
- This is where we met them, crawling out of timber slab houses.
- Now we were before the great hall itself, and I looked up at timber walls made of slabs of oak four times my height.
- 1.4A table used for laying a body on in a morgue.More example sentences
- Some churches are as warm and inviting as a mortuary slab.
- She begins to experiment, creating casts of mortuary slabs as well as mundane household objects.
- Whiteread cast them from two mortuary slabs which she had bought from a salvage yard in Hackney.
verb (slabs, slabbing, slabbed)[with object] (often as noun slabbing) Back to top
- Remove slabs from (a log or tree) to prepare it for sawing into planks.More example sentences
- The company has developed and supplies a unique slabbing system.
- More example sentences
- I looked up prices and it seems after shipping costs, it is a pretty expensive process to get it slabbed.
- This coin has been slabbed, and will be shipped to you inside a sonically sealed hard plastic slab.
- More example sentences
- As they begin to climb the succession of slabby cliffs and steep grassy slopes, Dickey turns to his companions and says, ‘We gotta whack this guy, tonight.’
- It gets better and better, the water cutting deeper into the curved and hollowed rock, with slabby undercuts and terraced waterfalls.
- The side view would be slabby except that it is broken well by a crease along the doorhandle lines and a well-placed rubbing strip.
Middle English: of unknown origin.