1Comedy based on deliberately clumsy actions and humorously embarrassing events: [as modifier]: slapstick humor
More example sentences
- Families enjoyed the fun-filled evening of good music, slapstick comedy and all-around entertainment.
- The film is billed as a sophisticated comedy that gleefully mixes slapstick humour, with something a little more grown-up for all viewers.
- It is a comedy with both slapstick and verbal humour.
1.1A device consisting of two flexible pieces of wood joined together at one end, used by clowns and in pantomime to produce a loud slapping noise.
- The paddles turned out to be harmless slapsticks, with holes through the actual paddle part so they could cause a loud slapping noise without hurting.
- I'll slap her upside the head one of these days, and not with a slapstick.
- Jerry whacked at the old soldier's head with a sympathetic slapstick.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of slapstick in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.