Definition of slaveholder in English:
An owner of slaves.
- But as long as the political monopoly of the slaveholders was broken, enfranchised blacks would have the power to prevent the re-emergence of aristocracy and inequality.
- Other critics, North and South, blamed slavery for encouraging an aristocratic love of luxurious leisure and a despotic temperament among the slaveholders.
- For nearly a century, Congress regulated slavery's existence and protected the property rights slaveholders claimed to have over their human chattel.
- 1slaveholding noun
- Example sentences
- On the Capitol flagpole, the Lone Star flies below the American flag, emblem of the few brief years when slaveholding Texas was its own republic.
- In this respect, the narratives show the masters as individuals who struggle with the moral problems posed by slaveholding.
- And it's as relevant to today's Middle East as it was to slaveholding America.
Definition of slaveholder in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.