Definition of slaveholder in English:
An owner of slaves.
- But as long as the political monopoly of the slaveholders was broken, enfranchised blacks would have the power to prevent the re-emergence of aristocracy and inequality.
- Other critics, North and South, blamed slavery for encouraging an aristocratic love of luxurious leisure and a despotic temperament among the slaveholders.
- For nearly a century, Congress regulated slavery's existence and protected the property rights slaveholders claimed to have over their human chattel.
- Example sentences
- On the Capitol flagpole, the Lone Star flies below the American flag, emblem of the few brief years when slaveholding Texas was its own republic.
- In this respect, the narratives show the masters as individuals who struggle with the moral problems posed by slaveholding.
- And it's as relevant to today's Middle East as it was to slaveholding America.
Definition of slaveholder in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan