Definition of sleet in English:
1A form of precipitation consisting of ice pellets, often mixed with rain or snow.
- Eric headed home alone, I needed time to think, the sleet had turned to rain, but I didn't mind being wet.
- The precipitation was on that borderline between sleet and just frigid rain.
- Conditions were described as mixed hail / sleet / snow.
1.1US A thin coating of ice formed by sleet or rain freezing on contact with a cold surface.
- Elongated strips of icicles dangled from the sides of the shed ceiling, and a thin film of sleet enveloped everything else.
- It never snowed in Austin, but that morning there was definitely sleet on the ground.
- The wipers went to work, pushing the sleet and snow from the windshield.
verb[no object] (it sleets, it is sleeting, etc.) Back to top
Sleet falls: it was sleeting so hard we could barely see
More example sentences
- For all I cared it could've been sleeting down and blowing a gale: I felt better than I had for a long time.
- But it's been sleeting for the last ten minutes and you've been standing out in it.
- It was sleeting, and my team spotted a ribbon of smoke in the forest and wheeled off the road to a campfire, around which huddled six Lithuanian cyclists.
- Example sentences
- When we got out of the car it was blowing an icy, sleety gale.
- By now the snow is easing off and has turned into a sort of swirling sleety rain.
- It will warm up after Tuesday but we should expect more sleety showers coming in from the Atlantic.
Words that rhyme with sleetaccrete, autocomplete, beat, beet, bittersweet, bleat, cheat, cleat, clubfeet, compete, compleat, complete, conceit, Crete, deceit, delete, deplete, discreet, discrete, eat, effete, élite, entreat, escheat, estreat, excrete, feat, feet, fleet, gîte, greet, heat, leat, leet, Magritte, maltreat, marguerite, meat, meet, meet-and-greet, mesquite, mete, mistreat, neat, outcompete, peat, Pete, petite, pleat, receipt, replete, sangeet, seat, secrete, sheet, skeet, splay-feet, street, suite, sweet, teat, treat, tweet, wheat
Definition of sleet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan