- 1Thick, soft, wet mud or a similar viscous mixture of liquid and solid components, especially the product of an industrial or refining process.More example sentences
- He dismissed as ‘scaremongering’ the claims that chemical and industrial sludges were being processed in the plant or that animal and body parts were being processed.
- Incinerators are designed to destroy gases, liquids, solids, sludges, and slurries at high temperatures.
- Methods include in situ and ex situ treatment of contaminated soil, groundwater, industrial wastewater, sludges, soil slurries, marine oil spills, and vapour-phase effluvia.
- 1.1Dirty oil, especially in the sump of an internal combustion engine.More example sentences
- With the trowel, I commenced scooping diesel oil sludge into the bucket.
- It's almost amusing, until one of them sinks into a pool of oily sludge and wings greased, struggles helplessly to get free as the others fly off.
- It's like dumping fresh oil on sludge and wondering why your engine isn't running better!
- More example sentences
- They've stripped the ceiling back to reveal the girders and piping, like some dated metropolitan style bar, yet they've kept the chandelier and the flock wallpaper and painted everything else an undistinguished sludgy brown.
- One afternoon, we walked in to find her standing on the battered old dining room table, painting the ceiling a sludgy shade of snot green.
- One's foot gladly sinks into the sludgy marsh.
early 17th century: of uncertain origin; compare with slush.