Definition of slugger in English:
1Person who throws hard punches.
- One thing is for sure, it was a real treat for local crowds to watch the very best this country has to offer when it comes to gracious and accommodating glove work, the hurling of the leather and the swinging of the slugger.
- It's going to be a classic contest, a boxer's boxer against a slugger, but normally in those situations the boxer prevails.
- The former world heavyweight champion delivered that truly Tysonesque epitaph following his loss to Irish slugger Kevin McBride in Washington last night.
1.1 Baseball A player who consistently hits for power, especially home runs and doubles.
- Home run sluggers are certainly the gladiators of the baseball diamond.
- As I'm sure he learned during his career as a baseball slugger, McGwire generates the power in his golf swing smoothly, without any violent or lunging movement.
- Here he comes, The Donkey himself, baseball's best chance for a 50-home run slugger in 2005.
Definition of slugger in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan