Definition of small fry in English:
1Young fish, animals, or children.
- We were surrounded instead by scores of other boats, all equally idle, and the only fish I saw all day were the silvery small fry used for bait, swimming in tight circles in their holding tank.
- Rough season conceal the shoals of small fry upon which they survive.
- For example, Cichlasoma nigrofasciatum and Cichlasoma citrinellum are able to discriminate their own small fry from those of other species.
1.1Insignificant people or things: high-ranking officials escaped prosecution while numerous small fry were imprisoned
More example sentences
- There is no way the Crown Prosecution Service can stick the loans scandal merely on the small fry.
- Some of those companies are big fish, and others are small fry.
- She was one of the youngest members in the Dance Club after all, small fry and unimportant.
Definition of small fry in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia