Definition of small-minded in English:
Having or showing rigid opinions or a narrow outlook; petty.
- I mean, if this were Wales say, or Scotland, I dare say I could rabbit away about small-minded, provincial parochialism.
- Every once in a blue moon, something will come along that is so immediately affecting and amazing that our usual sarcasm-laced tone just seems petty and small-minded.
- That was not the action of a small-minded or petty individual.
close-minded, shortsighted, myopic, blinkered, inward-looking, unimaginative, parochial, provincial, insular, small-town;
- Example sentences
- But who is standing up to our MPs as they hack, small-mindedly, in different ways, at our freedom?
- Ignore the cries of those who would small-mindedly label you a bar geek and think of the benefits that being a member of this association has for you as a lawyer, regardless of your specialty.
- Both agree that one should simply celebrate the fact that there are books without small-mindedly picking apart those one dislikes, especially in public or, worst of all, in print.
- Example sentences
- As one who has gorged himself on Mencken, I can sympathize with the biographers who rushed in to appraise Mencken's life and then turned away, disgusted by his cruelty, small-mindedness, and transparent bigotry.
- The players here may be more ‘decent’, may be older and more female, but the small-mindedness and pettiness is the same.
- This kind of small-mindedness and intolerance is what keeps people like the two of you from learning anything.
Words that rhyme with small-mindedbroadminded, like-minded, simple-minded, single-minded, tough-minded
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan