- A type of clay mineral (e.g., montmorillonite) that undergoes reversible expansion on absorbing water.More example sentences
- The clay mineral smectite, with physical properties that make it unsuitable as a soil if it is wet, is only found in major amounts in covered stadiums.
- Common clays are usually mixtures of clay minerals such as illite, smectite, and kaolinite, together with fine silica and other minor constituents.
- The clay is composed of illite and kaolinite, with minor amounts of chlorite and smectite.
early 19th century: from Greek smēktis 'fuller's earth' + -ite1.
More definitions of smectiteDefinition of smectite in:
- The British & World English dictionary