(also smoke alarm)
- A fire-protection device that automatically detects and gives a warning of the presence of smoke.More example sentences
- Luckily, the smoke detector automatically alerted the fire brigade who extinguished the blaze and moved the couple, and their pets, away from the house.
- I do not think that the fire could have developed to the stage that it did without the smoke alarm giving some warning beforehand.
- If you are asleep and have no early warning from a smoke alarm, you may not wake up in time to escape.
More definitions of smoke detectorDefinition of smoke detector in:
- The British & World English dictionary