Definition of smokestack in English:
1A chimney or funnel for discharging smoke from a locomotive, ship, factory, etc. and helping to induce a draft.
- Jutting from the murky orange sunset behind them, the cathedral's three steeples, flanked by the cupola of the old colonial garrison and the little dome of the city hall, tower over the masts and the smokestacks of ships at anchor.
- Instead of viaducts and smokestacks, the dockside arts complex that bears his name is built with shards of sunlight and steel.
- He changed power-plant rules affecting emissions, a move favored by industry, and has balked at forcing big ships to clean their smokestack pollutants.
1.1 [as modifier] Pertaining to heavy industry: America’s smokestack cities and blue-collar suburbs
More example sentences
- The prevailing winds are from the west, thus the location of a city's smokestack industry is downwind.
- Nyofco currently operates under Title V of the Clean Air Act, which requires it to self-monitor and submit the results of smokestack tests to the city and local community board every six years.
- The tech industries have some organizing problems and challenges not shared with rustbelt, smokestack America.
Words that rhyme with smokestackBlu-Tack • thumbtack
Definition of smokestack in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.