- Checkmate in which the king has no vacant square to move to and is checkmated by a knight.More example sentences
- A couple of weeks ago I experienced one of the ultimate dreams of a tournament chessplayer; I executed a smothered mate in an actual tournament game.
- Problem H shows one weird effect of this - a long-range smothered mate by a lone King!
- Both players had an opportunity for a smothered mate… within just one or two moves of each other!
More definitions of smothered mateDefinition of smothered mate in:
- The British & World English dictionary